Find a Child Trust Fund


For children born between September 1, 2002, and January 2, 2011, a Child Trust Fund can be set up as a tax-free savings vehicle for the future.

Anyone over the age of 16 who has children should open a Child Trust Fund.

In 2011, the Child Trust Fund programme ended. Instead, consider applying for a Junior ISA.

Paying into a Child Trust Fund

If you already have a Child Trust Fund account, you can keep contributing up to £9,000 per year. The child is the legal owner of the funds, but they won’t be able to access them until they turn 18. When they turn 16, they will be able to take over the account.

The earnings and interest from a child trust fund are exempt from taxation. Your government aid and tax credits will not be affected.

Find a Child Trust Fund

If you know who the Child Trust Fund is with, you can get in touch with them directly.

H.M. Revenue and Customs (HMRC) can tell you where the account was opened if you don’t know the Child Trust Fund provider:

  • Creating a Government Gateway user ID and password is required before you can fill out a form online.
  • sending a letter of inquiry for information

Charities, Savings and International 1

If you’re a parent looking for your child’s trust fund

In order to receive child benefits, for example, you will need your child’s Unique Reference Number, which can be found in correspondence from the HMRC or DWP.

Your child’s National Insurance number is required if they are over the age of 16.

You must include all of the following when submitting a written request to HMRC:

  • name and complete address
  • information including the child’s full name and address
  • date of birth National Insurance Number or Unique Reference Number for the child (if available)

If you’re looking for your own trust fund when you’re over 16

Find out if you have a Child Trust Fund by inquiring with your parents or legal guardian. You can get in touch with them directly if they know the account provider’s name.

If you or your guardian are unsure of the source of your Child Trust Fund, you can use the HMRC online form to find out. A National Insurance number is required.

Include the following in your letter if you’re sending a request through the mail:

  • name and complete address
  • and if you know it, your National Insurance or Reference Number; and your date of birth

What happens next

Within 3 weeks of receiving your request, HMRC will mail you information about the Child Trust Fund provider.

If the child is your legal dependent because of adoption or legal guardianship, HMRC will contact you for additional details.

Managing the account

As the “registered contact,” you are the primary point of contact for the Child Trust Fund. Until the child turns 18 or becomes legally responsible for the account, you will be responsible for certain matters.

Your responsibilities as the registered contact

You, alone, can:

  • advise the account issuer on how to handle the money and the account.
  • Modify your contact information and home address
  • convert a bank account into a stock trading account
  • switch to a different service provider.

Also Read: Child Trust Funds Overview

To do this, you must get in touch with your Child Trust Fund company.

Changing Bank Accounts

Converting a Child Trust Fund to a Junior ISA is possible. To do so, you should get in touch with a Junior ISA company.

Essential documentation

The following documents should be kept:

  • a special identification number for your kid (found on your child’s Child Trust Fund statement once a year).
  • provider and account type specifics are included in account statements.

Alter a listed contact person

If both you and the child’s current registered contact are in agreement, you can switch to a new contact who does have parental responsibility for the child, such as a parent, stepparent, or legal guardian.

Find out how to update the Child Trust Fund account’s registered contact by contacting the service provider where the fund is held.

Whenever your kid reaches the age of 16

At the age of 16, your child can either:

contact the Child Trust Fund provider and ask that the account be transferred to your name.

Also Read: Child Trust Fund